About the UPCD

About the College:

 The UP College of Dentistry was established as a Department of the UP College of Medicine Surgery in Manila, on February 8, 1915 when the Philippines was still a colony of the United States of America.
 There are 3 departments in the College: Basic Health Sciences, which takes charge of all fundamental courses; Clinical Dental Health Sciences, which is the hands-on patients phase; and Community Dentistry which handles all social and community dentistry courses. These departments make certain that the three-fold institutional objectives are accomplished: students must become scientifically knowledgeable, technically capable and socially sensitive.
 In addition to the undergraduate course, the College of Dentistry also offers graduate course in Orthodontics, the first Masters of Science in Dentistry degree in the Philippines.

Location:
The UP College of Dentistry is situated at the corner of Taft Avenue and Pedro Gil Street, within the UP Manila Campus. (map)

Mailing Address: UP College of Dentistry Pedro Gil cor Taft AvenueManila, Philippines 1000
Contact Numbers: (+632) 302-3983 / (+632) 302-6387 (Main Trunklines)
College Secretary's Office: (+632) 3026360
HISTORY
The College of Dentistry was first established as a Dept. Of Dentistry of the College of Medicine and Surgery on February 8, 1915 with Dr. Louie Ottofy as the head of the Department. During the school year 1917-1918, the Department of Dentistry was organized into a School of Dentistry, under the wings of the College of Medicine with Dr. Louie Ottofy as the Director.
Due to the extensive damage caused by the war, the School of Dentistry was closed on February 3, 1945. The director of the school then was Dr. Domiciano Sandoval. Shortly, it resumed its operations on August 6,1945 to give completion courses to students whose studies were interrupted by the war. Dr. Victorino G. Villa who was then the Secretary of the School became the officer -in-charge upon the retirement of Dr. Sandoval in 1946 and later appointed Director. It was in October 1946 that the school offered the regular four-year course in Dentistry.
Upon the recommendation of the late Dean Antonio G. Sison of the College of Medicine, the Board of Regents of the University passed a resolution changing the status of the School of Dentistry to an independent unit as theCollege of Dentistry on October 21, 1948. The College was one of the Pioneer units, which moved to Diliman campus, Quezon City. In Diliman, it occupied a Quonset barracks vacated by the U.S Armed Forces on top of the hill where the student union building; Vinzon's Hall now stands. Due to lack of patients, the Dental Clinic was transferred back to Manila during the School Year 1949-1950.The Deans of the UPCD from 1960 - Present:

  • Dr. Celso Bunag
  • Dr. Perez
  • Dr. Avelino Macasaet
  • Dr. Aurelio Ramos
  • Dr. Natividad Gervasio
  • Dr. Leonor Lago
  • Dr. Edna M Jimena
  • Dr. Elizabeth De Castro
  • Dr. Vicente Medina III

LOCATION AND FACILITIE



 The building of the College is located at Taft Av. cor, Pedro Gil Street,Ermita, Manila. It is within the same compound as the College of Medicine, College of Public Health and the Philippine General Hospital (PGH).Classes for dental and basic medicine are conducted in the Colleges of Dentistry, Medicine and Public Health as well as in the various operating rooms and wards of the PGH. The Dental Clinic of the PGH Out Patient Department is under the supervision of the college, which correlates its teaching and service functions.The hope of the College to have a new home has been realized since the new building started its operation in 2003 at the corner of Taft Avenue and Pedro Gil.